R1 Read closely to determine what the text says explicitly and to make logical inferences from it; and cite specific evidence when writing or speaking to support conclusions drawn from the text.
R2 Determine central ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.
R8 Delineate and evaluate the argument and specific claims in a text, including the validity of the reasoning as well as the relevance and sufficiency of the evidence.
3. Research and information fluency
Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information.
a. Plan strategies to guide inquiry
b. Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media
c. Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks
d. Process data and report results
Students will analyze the author and the context in which he or she writes.
How does researching background information about the author impact our understanding of the author's purpose for writing, and the theme of the story?
1. Review instructions and explain the Accounting for the Author activity sheet.
2. Model for students how to complete the Accounting for the Author activity/steps before students complete the steps independently.
3. Students complete the Accounting for the Author activity/steps in pairs or small groups. Each group will be assessed to make sure they are completing the About the Author activity sheet as modeled on the smart board using the R.A.C.E. strategy. (Formative Assessment)
4. I will project the guiding steps on the smart board so I may review with students the steps one on one. (Formative Assessment)
Reliable Resources for Accounting for the Author activity sheet:
BIOGRAPHY.COM - SUZANNE COLLINS [EDUCATION/PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE]: http://www.biography.com/people/suzanne-collins-20903551#synopsis
SCHOLASTIC NEWS - SUZANNE COLLINS [AUTHOR'S INFLUENCE]:
SCHOLASTIC NEWS [AUTHOR'S PURPOSE/MOTIVATION]: http://www.scholastic.com/thehungergames/media/suzanne_collins_q_and_a.pdf
HISTORY CHANNEL: VIDEO ON "ORIGINS OF THE MINOTAUR":