Grab an Ipad – CLICK LINK – read paragraph 1 of the article, “Malala the powerful”
1.(Part A) Why do you think the author begins with Malala’s shooting? (Text Structure)
2.(Part B) Who is the author of the article “Malala the Powerful”?
Active Engagement: I will read an independent section “Malala the Powerful” and model for students how to read one paragraph at a time and annotate the main ideas and key details.
Link: I will show you how to read the text and determine “what is the key idea of what the author is stating in that particular section of the text?”
•Students will annotate.
•Read 1 – Annotate the Text using Coding Skills Chart
•Read 2 – Read pg. 6 (exclusively)
Guiding Question –
2. On page 6 what details help you understand the meaning of “oppressive” in the sentence “Those who live in areas under Taliban control or forced to follow oppressive religious rules.” (Context Clues)
•Read 3 - “School Ban” section
3. In the section “School Ban”, what can you infer about Malala‘s family from their decision to keep the school open? (Inference)
4. The author calls Malala’s voice a “weapon”. How is it a weapon? (Figurative Language)
•Read 4 – pg. 9
5. On page 9 you read that protesters, many of them kids, carried signs that said, “I am Malala”. What did the signs mean? (Inference)
EXIT TICKET: Quick Write:
6. Overall, what was the author’s point of view or purpose in this text, and explain how it is conveyed in the text.